Our effort to reduce plastic waste
Why every step into the right direction matters
Fresenius Kabi is committed to reduce plastic waste in our product packagings and we will continue on this mission!
5 facts on plastic waste
- An estimated quantity of 8.3 billion tons of virgin plastics have been produced worldwide since the beginning of the use of plastic
- Approximately 6.3 billion tons of plastic waste have been generated worldwide since then
- According to experts, the oceans are expected to contain 1 ton of plastics for every 3 tons of fish by 2025 and even more plastics than fish (by weight) by 2050
- Up to 130,000 tons of plastic will find its way into our waterways and into the ocean in Australia
- Plastic straws are in the top 10 of marine debris
As little as possible,
as much as necessary
Particularly for sensitive products, plastic is an important packaging material as it can be used for sterile manufacturing, it is lightweight, durable and serves as excellent product protection. Compared to other packaging materials, it is cost-sensitive promoting resource-conscious healthcare.
In 2019 Fresenius Kabi has removed the drinking straw from its “EasyBottles”,
in line with our ongoing local and global environmental commitment.
Saving plastic step by step
Common plastic straws are in the top 10 of marine debris. Single-use plastics contribute to 60 to 95% of global marine pollution and over 233 marine species have been documented to ingest plastic debris.
Fresenius Kabi has reduced the amount of plastic used in its 200 ml EasyBottles in 2011 and again in 2013. At the end of 2019 we removed the straw from our EasyBottles resulting in an additional saving of approx. 70 tons of plastic per year. Furthermore, the rectangular shape of the container itself allows approximately 20% more product per package volume than round bottles.
This way, Fresenius Kabi contributes to accomplishing the goals on reduction of greenhouse gas (e.g. CO2) emissions on a global scale and to reducing unnecessary plastic waste.
Our plastic-saving Fresubin EasyBag
Compared to an average tube feed bottle on the market, EasyBag is the lightest container and saves 60% of plastic used in weight and more than 85% of plastic waste generated in volume.
Fresubin EasyBag is the solution
Our top tips for reducing your environmental impact
- Lunch groups: Set up lunch with friends and family and share your home made meals. This avoids fast food packaging and can be a lot of fun.
- Waste separation: Always separate waste and encourage colleagues, friends and family to do so as well.
- Plants for freshness: Think about investing in fresh plants in our office or home. They are not only beautiful but they have a positive effect on the room climate and on the air quality.
- Use glass: Whenever possible use glass or other reusable containers for beverages and food. This minimises the amount of plastic landing up in landfill and damaging the environment.
- Reduce/Reuse paper: Where possible avoid printing emails and other documents. If you do need to use paper, reuse them as much as possible for doodling, notes or even fun crafts with the kids.
- Double-sided printing: When you are printing a presentation or any other document, set the printer to double-sided printing.