Preparation of drinks & meals for Dysphagia patients
How to prepare dishes with Thick & EasyTM Clear
Most dysphagia patients have a safer swallow with thickened drinks compared to thin liquids. Everybody has their individual preferences for certain foods and drinks. Please check the level of thickening recommended by your healthcare professional and follow the instructions on the tin to reach that recommended level of thickening.
Use a bigger stirring glass for the preparation. Stir until flat and then pour into a container already prepared with the correct amount of thickener.
Thickening level instruction
How to use the Thick & Easy Clear scoop
- Scoop size = 1.4g
- Graph shows the number of scoops required for a 200ml drink
- Always level off the powder in the scoop
- Once prepared use promptly
Food preparation for dysphagia patients
When thickening blended food with Thick & Easy Clear, you don't have to put the thickener in the empty container first, you can simply add the thickener to the blended food.
How to achieve a thick and smooth consistency
- Do not stir into drinks or puréed food which are very hot (>70° C).
Let hot drinks and dishes cool down before thickening.
- To ensure the safe consumption, use probes to check the temperature at the different levels of preparation.
- To get creative with your dishes, use different moulds kinds of nozzles for piping bags
- If your ingredients are too solid after the blending process, you have to add fluid (preferably nourishing liquids or water).
How to use your kitchen equipment to prepare appealing dishes
You are aiming for a thick, smooth consistency. With practice you will learn how to use the common kitchen equipment for the various recipes. The following pieces of equipment could be found in any household and may help in the preparation of delicious, really nice, appealing looking dysphagia-suitable food.